Tuesday 4 January 2011

Parsnips - Dutch style




I’m not a huge fan of parsnips. I never was. But done like this, slathered in cheese and butter, they become just about bearable! This was taken from a recipe from a Dutch cookery book but I messed around with it because it was far too fiddly and I’m not into lots of swapping dishes and preparations stages. I’ll give the recipe the way I did it, then give the way you’re ‘supposed’ to do it. I served these with vegetarian steaks (yes really – Quorn is great!)and onion rings, but I think they’re pretty versatile. Just make sure you serve them with something strong tasting.

Parsnips – Dutch style

Serves 4

I think variances in cooking time are quite forgiving. I cooked them for about 40 minutes.

800g parsnips chopped lengthways then into 1-2cm thick slices

2 tblsp flour

50g butter

200ml vegetable stock

200g strong, tangy cheese, like mature cheddar (you can use less, but I’m a cheese freak)

Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 180C

*Prepare the stock and whisk a small amount of cold water with the flour so it doesn’t form lumps.

*As the oven is heating, melt the butter in a roasting dish/pan. Once melted, take the tin back out and shake the parsnips around in it until coated. Season with the salt and pepper.

*Pour over the flour and stock so that all pieces are evenly covered.

*Sprinkle over the cheese and again make sure everything is evenly mixed.

*Cook in the oven for however long you feel is necessary (I did 40 minutes, 30 minutes is probably also possible).

Notes: It really, really helps if you use a non-stick tin. The cheese will melt and burn (Just the way my mum likes it!) which will stick horribly if you don’t.

The real Dutch way – Preheat oven to 250C. Boil the parsnips with 2 tbsp of lemon juice and the flour paste over a high heat for 5 minutes. Then melt the butter in a casserole dish (I think a frying pan or saucepan is meant), add the stock (Only 100ml used now), salt and pepper and 1tsp ground nutmeg and braise for 5 minutes. Layer parsnips and the sauce with the cheese in a greased, ovenproof dish then bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

P.S. Oops! I forgot to take a picture. Hopefully I’ll remember tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment